Monday, February 5, 2007

Reading Prompt #2


Readings: Ebert Ch. 2, Cummins Ch. 2, Richardson Ch. 3

Multiliteracies is a method of instruction that allows the student to move beyond what is being taught and learned from within the classroom. Teachers are providing their ELL students with an opportunity to acquiring an L2 by using the "outside" world and no longer using simple reading and writing as the only means of literacy.

Using blogs can be a tool for ELLs that will enhance their experiences with learning an L2. Teachers should provide the technology that is provided to our classrooms as a resource that will only benefit the student's language usages. We must also be aware that "language learners do not need computers to learn grammar, read with comprehension, or write for an authentic audience. Teachers can use computers to help them address individual learners' needs, and provide effective, authentic language tasks and texts" (Egbert, 2005).

My own experiences with blogs was very limited until now. I enjoyed creating my blog and look forward to using this tool in the future. It was a great feeling seeing the "final" product as Dr. Wright walked us through the process. I appreciated his patience. I only hope that I will be able to do the same with my fifth grade students. I will keep everybody posted.

1 comment:

Dr. Wayne E. Wright said...

Hi Maestra Morales,

Glad you understand the role of the computer is not to replace the language teacher, but rather can be a tool to facilitate students learning and provide opportunties for real-world (authentic) language tasks.

Glad you enjoyed the experience of creating this blog. I think you'll have even more fun building it up!

-Dr. Wright