Monday, February 19, 2007

Reading Prompt #5

In the Egbert chapter, I gained the following ideas for encouraging creativity and production:

  • Students are able to test their hypotheses with how language works
  • Students can choose to use their individual learning styles as a means of gaining their L2
  • Social interactions enables the students to value language production
  • Examples of productivity tools (word processors, databases, spreadsheets, etc.) pg. 74

All of these ideas promote language learning individually for students. The ideas presented in the chapter allow for the students to use artwork (wanted posters), create holiday cards, generate t-shirts, and bumper stickers. How much FUN would this be for a 5th grade student to share with their peers, other faculty and especially their families? WOW!! These ideas will be great to do (after TAKS, of course) with my ELL students.

Before reading the Richardson chapter I wasn't very comfortable with elementary students using and creating Wikis. The chapter mentioned how students can work collaboratively to "monitor the content that is added and make necessary edits and revisions". It also mentions the fact that students are allowed to be trusted while working in groups and also take ownership of their finished products as a group.


I would have never thought of these ideas for Wikis (at the elementary level). It just seems like such a "grown-up" skill that would be difficult for younger students. Honestly, I am still a little nervous about the idea but, hopefully after I gain more knowledge about this new technology I will prepare my students (and myself) for future projects.

3 comments:

marysol trevino said...

Hola Mtra. Morales,

I do agree with you that all these ideas encourage students with achiving their creativity and production. It will just expand and encourage them to produced a better product that will benefit their language learning.

Imagine using all those ideas in our classroom; it will empower them to use their creativity and ideas without limits.
It will benefit all of us (teachers and students.

I think that the used of wikis as a resource for research is a great tool. We just need to teach our students the importance of choosing and find reliable information in an open source. The ELL can increase their literacy skills usign this free and easy tool.
I also want to learn and practice integrating more technology that will facilitate their learning of my future students :)

Adrienne Guillen said...

Hola Maestra Morales,

I understand your fear of using Wikis in an elementary school setting. I actually agree. I also had no idea how I could use this technology with 4th graders. And although there were many good ideas in the book I am still a tad bit nervous about it.

Like you, I also hope to gain confidence with the knowledge we gain in this class to use in our own classrooms.

- Adrienne Padilla

Dr. Wayne E. Wright said...

I forgot to mention in class that Wikispaces is giving away free wikispaces to up to 100,000 K-12 schools! (they've given away about 10,000 so far). This is the version which normally costs $5 a month, and it gets rid of the advertisements. What a deal!